Last year staff from the Department of Public Works held town hall meetings and visited neighborhood associations to engage with citizens regarding the winter parking rules. At recent meetings, the Public Works Committee has discuss the Winter Parking and Snow Emergency proposals that were shelved last fall and has sanctioned revisions for consideration. After holding these revisions in committee while a series of polls were issued on Nextdoor.com to collect resident feedback the committee has taken the poll information into consideration and made a final recommendation to the City Council.
The following changes are being recommended to the the City Council for approval at their next meeting on August 6th to improve snow removal operations and to enable the snow plow operators to work more efficiently.
- Winter Parking Rules are currently in effect December 1 to April 1; the proposed change is for it to be December 1 to April 30.
- Alternate side of the street parking is currently from 2:00 am to 6:00 am; the proposed change is for it to be from 12:00 midnight to 6:00 am.
- The current snow emergency ordinance requires that after one side of the street has been plowed, vehicles shall be moved within one-hour; vehicles that are legally parked don’t have to be moved between the hours 12:00 midnight and 7:00 am. The proposed change is to remove the requirement that vehicles must be moved within one hour after the street is plowed and replace it with the alternate side of the street parking similar to the Winter Parking Rules. All other provisions of the Snow Emergency Ordinance would stay in place.
You may view all existing winter parking rules: www.sheboyganwi.gov/winterparking
Thank you to those who participated in the Snow Emergency poll series on Nextdoor.com to help the Public Works Committee formulate a recommendation. The poll questions were released over a one week period. The poll questions was closed on Tuesday, July 10 at noon and the poll results and 52 comments from voters were provided to the Public Works Committee at their meeting held at the Municipal Services Building (2026 New Jersey Avenue) on July 24.
1. Do you feel that the DPW effectively manages snow removal without calling a snow emergency? (Note that a snow emergency hasn’t been called since 2008.).
|Yes, snow removal is being managed effectively.||66%||225 votes|
|No, snow emergencies should be utilized to enable effective snow removal.||33%|
2. Do you feel that vehicles parked on the City streets make it difficult for plowing operations?
|Yes, this is a significant problem that needs to be addressed.||49%||191 votes|
|Somewhat, but this a minor issue.||37%|
|No, this is not a problem.||13%|
3. Do you feel that it is reasonable to be required to move a vehicle parked on the City streets during a 24-hour time period during the winter season November 1 to April 30?
|Yes, moving vehicles enables the plows to access all areas of the streets.||88%||177 votes|
|No, there shouldn’t be winter parking restrictions.||11%|
4. Do you feel that it is reasonable to prohibit parking on all streets during a snow emergency?
|Yes, there shouldn’t be any vehicles parked on streets during a snow emergency.||29%||167 votes|
|Somewhat, only streets with “Snow emergency route” signs should prohibit parking during a snow emergency.||63%|
|No, there shouldn’t be parking restrictions during snow emergencies.||7%|
Nextdoor.com is a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities, all over the world. The City of Sheboygan utilizes Nextdoor’s polling feature to engage with residents on a variety of topics. There are currently 3,900+ Sheboygan residents that have joined Nextdoor.com. Joining is free and easy – go to nextdoor.com and verify that you live at an address in Sheboygan. You will receive a confirmation code which will give you access, then setup your profile. Once you are setup as a user, you can invite others to participate by inviting them via email or by sending a postcard – Nextdoor pays the postage and provides postcards at no charge. I hope you find that it is an easy way for you and your neighbors to communicate online and it makes all of your lives and your neighborhood better.